If you are experiencing any symptoms related to burnout, you may be exhausted, moody, and ready to give up. You may be prone to emotional outbursts, falling asleep in the wrong place, and unable to focus and concentrate.
Maybe these tips for avoiding burnout will help.
- Know Your Why – If you don’t know why you are doing something, it can feel like it’s unnecessary and then that can make you feel pressured. Understanding the reasons for doing what you need to do will change everything about your life because you will know that you are doing it for a reason.
- Systemize and Eliminate – Use automation like bill pay with your bank, set up automatic delivery of items that you use regularly, and eliminate anything you don’t really and truly need.
- Give Back – Take time to help others either as a mentor, a volunteer or by donating money when you can. If you can do things personally for others it’s going to be that much more eye-opening and help you get out of your own head for a while.
- Exercise & Eat Right – No one can work or live their life fully if they are not healthy. Part of being healthy is eating right and exercising. Eat in a way that makes you feel best and exercise in a way that works for you. Many people swear by Yoga for calming their minds and reshaping their bodies.
- Get Enough Sleep – There honestly isn’t much that is more important than getting a good night’s sleep. Sleeping at least 6 to 9 hours a night is a necessity that you really cannot skip. The trick is to figure out what time is optimal for you.
- Actively Manage Your Time – Everyone has the same 24 hours in a day. It’s all how you manage your time that matters. Stop doing things that don’t make a difference and keep doing things that do. Use your calendar and schedule everything important to you from business to personal.
- Be Sociable – People need people. It’s not just a song. Even if you are an introvert, you still need to be around other people. Find a group you like being around that fits your needs and personality and make it part of your schedule.
- Get Back to Nature – The other thing everyone needs as a human is nature. You need to walk barefoot in the sand or on the grass occasionally to reconnect to nature. Smell the fresh air, feel the breeze, and yes if you can – dance in the rain.
- Schedule Everything Including Downtime – Use your calendar to schedule everything that you do, including your personal life. If you want to ensure you have time to play Yahtzee with your child, schedule it in.
Burnout doesn’t have to happen. You can stop it before it starts by setting up your life to use time realistically. You can systemize, eliminate, and organize your life enough that you won’t need to feel as if you have no control over anything while working 365 days a year. Instead, you will be able to get just as much done while being realistic and avoiding burnout.